Learning how to sew: The apron project, continued

The apron isn’t quite finished yet, but It’s getting very close!

I’ve bound all the edges, and it was maybe easier than I had thought it would be, but that’s just because I had thought it would be really difficult.

I started with the neckline edge…

Apron

As you can see the result could be neater, but for a first try at binding a rounded edge I’m happy.

Apron

Some of these photos are taken when I worked in the evening, so they are unfortunately a bit dark, but here is what it looked like when I had prepped the outer edge of the neckline for sewing:

Apron

Look at how neat the stitches are this time:

Apron

Yesterday I got some sewing done during daylight, so I took some photos when I put on the last of the binding around the lower edge;

Apron

Apron

Here the apron is all pinned and with basting stitches just ready to be sewn…

Apron

… and a close-up

Apron

Everything was going fine. This is a learning process for me and one of the things I notices was that I got a nice consisting distance to the edge of the binding if I used the rectangular holes in the sewing machine as guides for the fabric while having set the stitch type to a needle position with the needle to the side – here’s a close-up of it:

Apron

 

And then when I was so happy with my new discovery and thinking how great I’ve become at sewing . . . . .   the thread broke!

Apron

Ah well, I’m sure this happens for everybody sometimes, and I fixed it and continued and the result was fine.

Apron

 

All left to do now is the ties for tying the back of the apron, but that will have to wait for another day. 🙂

Embellished scarf – almost done!

I managed to get a little sewing done yesterday and today. I am so close to finishing it that I can almost smell the success in the air. 😉

Last time I blogged, I had had finished the actual scarf, but hadn’t started on the embellished part of it yet. Yesterday I traced the leafy pattern on to one end of the scarf. I probably should have been patient and gone to buy the proper carbon copy paper, but I in stead used a ball point pen to trace with.  The result looked like this:

Sewing 2012-03-28

Next step was to cut out the leafs. That went fairly well, but again my cutting could be neater.

Sewing 2012-03-28

Then I pinned and basted around the leaves. This was as far as I got yesterday before the baby awoke from her nap.

Sewing 2012-03-28

Today I started sewing the pattern on the sewing machine. Before getting started on the actual sewing, I had to make sure the tension was right. This took a long time, and I was not completely happy with the result, but I think my machine is not any good, and I didn’t want to waste more time, so on I went with the sewing.

Sewing 2012-03-29

Here’s a close-up:

Sewing 2012-03-29

It was not easy, and the result could have been nicer, but for a first try, I am quite happy.

 

Now I just have to finish taking out the basting stitches and taking in the loose ends. Here is how the back looks:

Sewing 2012-03-29

 

And then there is of course also the other end of the scarf to embellish with the same pattern.