Sewing: Recycling my white shirt into cute toddler size shirt

After the success of recycling one of my shirts into a shirt for my cute baby girl, I wanted to repeat the experience using the same type of shirt that I had in white.

I used this white long sleeved t-shirt

White shirt ready to be recycled

I used the same pattern that I had made for the red recycled shirt, and it all went well until I ran out of thread…

Running out of thread in the middle of a seam

I didn’t want to stop sewing while waiting for finding the time to go buy some more thread, so I decided to start adding the collar. I wanted to try a different approach than I used last time, so I used white thread and kind of sewed the collar bind piece of fabric first before attaching it.

Binding neckline

Then I sewed it to the inside of the shirt.

Binding neckline

And then I basted it to the right side of the shirt.

Binding neckline

In stead of using a straight top-stitch I decided to use a decorative stitch to secure the collar edge. I quite liked the end result, but I think there must be an easier way to attach an edge to a neckline.

Anyhow … here is the finished shirt!

Finished shirt

I added quite a few nice details to the shirt; here are some close-ups:

Detail

Detail

Detail

Detail

I am really happy with the result. The only problem is that I have had to remove the decorative buttons because my cute baby girl likes to use her new teeth on everything and managed to bite one of the buttons off the shirt after having worn it for just half an hour! And safety goes before fashion, so the buttons had to be removed.

Stay tuned for my next sewing adventure…. a stuffed toy!

­čÖé

Sewing: Recycled shirt with a touch of ladybug

After the success of sewing the Ladybug pants, I wanted to try to sew a long sleeved shirt for my cute baby girl. I didn’t have a pattern, but I thought “how difficult can it be to make my own pattern” and went right ahead and did just that.

Shirt in the making

I used one of my daughters shirts as a template.

Template shirt

As this was my very first attempt at sewing a shirt, and even also just making it up as I went along, I didn’t want to use some nice expensive fabric, so I recycled one of my long sleeves shirt that I never use.

Original shirt

Shirt in the making

Shirt in the making

I also wanted to try out some of the fancy decorative stitches on my new machine, so I tried making a square using a leafy stitch and writing my daughters name in the middle. It wasn’t so easy getting it nice and centered, but it all adds to the MadeByMum look. ­čśë

Fancy stitching

Fancy stitching

I used some of the ladybug fabric, leftover from the pants, for a detail on the inside of the shirt.

It's all in the details

I wanted to try using the twin needle for hemming the sleeves, but I realised I needed two spools of thread for that, so I just top-stitched twice.

Sleeves

Attaching the sleeves was actually easier than I had thought.

Sleeves

And it was so easy to use an over-lock stitch to them on.

Over-lock stitch

And before I knew it, the shirt almost looked like a shirt. If you look closely you can see that I added a little detail on the side of the shirt (a little tag made from the ladybug fabric).

Almost a shirt

Now the neckline was not so easy to do. I’ll try a different approach the next time I make a shirt.

Neckline

The last touch was double hemming by top-stitching twice as done on the sleeves.

Almost finished

And… tadaa….

Finished shirt

My baby girl just loved it!

I love my shirt

Here are some close-ups of the details I added.

Details are important

Details are important

Details are important

And the shirt in action.

A shirt fit to play in

­čśë