Bound-edged apron – a finished project!

I have finished my 3rd learning-how-to-sew project, and I am happy with the result!

Last time I wrote about the apron project I had already sewn the ties, but still needed to turn them right side out and attach them to the apron.

I struggled a bit turning the first one right side out, but figured out how to to it easy with the second one…

Apron

 

Then I pressed the ties and slip-stitched the ends shut. I am amazed… slip-stitching is like performing magic – you don’t see the stitches even though you are sewing from the outside!

Apron

 

Attaching the ties was actually more difficult than I had expected. The box stitches was very difficult to make look nice, and this was my first try at doing it, so I guess I shouldn’t have expected too much, but I had hoped for a nicer box.

Apron

Apron

 

But I can’t complain about the overall finished result….

Apron

Tadaaa…….! A finished apron = yet another finished project. 🙂

 

Next project is a bag, and I am really looking forward to the challenge.

Learning how to sew: The apron project, continued

The apron isn’t quite finished yet, but It’s getting very close!

I’ve bound all the edges, and it was maybe easier than I had thought it would be, but that’s just because I had thought it would be really difficult.

I started with the neckline edge…

Apron

As you can see the result could be neater, but for a first try at binding a rounded edge I’m happy.

Apron

Some of these photos are taken when I worked in the evening, so they are unfortunately a bit dark, but here is what it looked like when I had prepped the outer edge of the neckline for sewing:

Apron

Look at how neat the stitches are this time:

Apron

Yesterday I got some sewing done during daylight, so I took some photos when I put on the last of the binding around the lower edge;

Apron

Apron

Here the apron is all pinned and with basting stitches just ready to be sewn…

Apron

… and a close-up

Apron

Everything was going fine. This is a learning process for me and one of the things I notices was that I got a nice consisting distance to the edge of the binding if I used the rectangular holes in the sewing machine as guides for the fabric while having set the stitch type to a needle position with the needle to the side – here’s a close-up of it:

Apron

 

And then when I was so happy with my new discovery and thinking how great I’ve become at sewing . . . . .   the thread broke!

Apron

Ah well, I’m sure this happens for everybody sometimes, and I fixed it and continued and the result was fine.

Apron

 

All left to do now is the ties for tying the back of the apron, but that will have to wait for another day. 🙂

The apron gets a pocket

The apron project is all about learning to bind edges and apply pockets, so the apron has a nice big pocket with a bound edge plus the whole apron also has a bound edge too. To make it even more challenging, the pocket has rounded corners!

Baby girl went to sleep early yesterday, and husband was out for a work dinner, so I got my sewing kit out and started on giving the pocket a bound edge and then went on to apply it to the apron front.

I am somewhat pleased with the bound edge, but I might see if I can sew a bit closer to the edge next time. (It was a bit dark so the picture is not so good unfortunately.)

Apron

It was a bit tricky to get the corners rounded nicely, but it was a fun challenge.

Then I had to match the pattern on the pocket to the pattern on the apron front.

Apron

I think I got it matched quite well. Here is what it looks like in daylight:

Apron

I still have to take the basting stitches out, and I must admit that sewing in a consistent distance to a rounded edge is not easy. I guess I will have to practice that a lot more.

Apron

Next is to bind the whole edge of the apron. It has a curved edge too, so wish me luck!

Learning how to sew – 3rd project: Bound-edged apron

My next challenge is an apron and I am going to use this fabric…

Apron

I think it’s perfect for an apron. My extra challenge with this project is to align the front pocket so the pattern match!

Today I managed to trace the pattern and cut out the fabric…

Apron

Apron

Apron

I found it a bit daunting cutting the fabric, but I think I did just fine, look….

Apron

And then there’s the pocket…

Apron

I cut from the front of the fabric to make sure I got the pattern sequence that I want.

Still a lot of sewing to do, but that will have to wait for another day and another one of the baby’s naps.